Sunday, July 6, 2014

Member of the Week: Meet Sarah Diard!

Hi! My name is Sarah Diard! I am a senior biology major (pre-pharmacy) and a member of PC’11. I am currently serving as the Make-A-Wish Liaison for our chapter. My job is to connect our chapter to the local children and their families who are having their wishes granted by the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Through our alliance with Make-A-Wish, we are given the chance to meet children who have been affected by a life-threatening illness and celebrate their wishes with them and their families. It is such an incredible experience to celebrate life with these children who are so strong!
            I am also involved other organizations outside of Greek Life as well. This past year, I was a Resident Assistant (RA) and worked primarily with transfer students and students with disabilities. This year, I will be the RA in the Chi Omega house! Currently, I am a Summer Conference Assistant and GEWW Crew Leader. I am also a member of the Catholic Student Association (CSA) and NRRH, which is an honor society for residence life. Off campus, I am a volunteer at Aldersgate Mission, which is an after school program for kids in the downtown Hattiesburg area. I have enjoyed participating in these organizations! They have shaped me into the person I am today. I joined Chi O my freshman year and it has played a vital role in connecting me to these organizations. Chi O has given me a home and encouraged me to reach my full potential.
            My favorite memory on campus is from last year when I was in Small Group Communications class. We had an assignment where we had to identify a problem on campus and solve it. Our problem: finals week stress. Our solution: bringing puppies to campus! We got permission to bring puppies from Southern Pines Animal Shelter to campus and let students come and play with them in our event “Paws for a Study Break.” It was so much fun!
            Some fun facts about me would be that if I had to describe myself in word I would say that I am sincere. My favorite hobby is most definitely Zumba. Strangely enough, my weirdest talent is Tetris. (I am surprisingly good at fast-paced puzzles and Tetris is my favorite!) I also love food! Right now I have to say that my favorite food is homemade garlic cheese biscuits!

          To end, my idea of happiness is living my life for others. I am happiest when I am using my time and talents to help other people. I especially love working with young children. My goal is to live my life investing in my family, friends, and the community. Then I know I will be happy!

Xoxo,
Sarah Diard & the Epsilon Delta Chapter of Chi Omega

1 comment: