Saturday, June 28, 2014

Member of the Week: Meet Linh Duong!

Hello!! 
     My name is Linh Duong, and I am a sophomore math major from good ole Biloxi, MS. It seems like just yesterday I made the best decision ever to pledge Chi Omega, but it was indeed last year which makes me a member of PC '13. My first year as a Chi Omega at Southern Miss was more exciting and rewarding than I could have ever expected (cliché, I know.. but it's true!). From watching movies at the house with newfound friends to dancing the night away at social functions with the best dance partners to cheering our booties off for our sisters competing in philanthropy events, I found a genuine home and the best of friends. Come this fall, I will be a part of the recruitment team to help show the amazing things Chi Omega has to offer.
      Well, a little bit about me.. Things I love include my family and friends, netflix, red velvet cake, making lists, and Lana Del Rey among other things. I am an avid New Orleans Saints fan, and I am definitely counting down the days until football season. I love all things the color pink, which is funny because I used to despise the color as a kid. One thing I could not live without is my planner. Dramatic, yes, but I am a nut about task management.
      A saying we have here at Southern Miss is to "leave it better than you found it," and by my involvement on campus I strive to do so. Our university has done so much for us, so I love giving back by being a leader on campus. I work as a math tutor for the First Year Initiative on campus. I enjoy this job so much because I get to combine both my passions for math (not as crazy as it sounds!) and for helping others. I am also currently involved with the Honors College, Student Government Association, Junior Panhellenic Council, and Lambda Sigma Honor Society.
      I am a Presidential Scholar which gives me access to Southern Miss's gem, the Honors College. Because of the Honors College, I have been able to form closer relationships with my professors and other scholars, some of which are Chi O sisters (we are smart cookies!). As a freshman, I was a part of Freshman Associates, a group of freshman leaders who work to better our university. This organization helped to strengthen my leadership skills and paved the way for me to be appointed as the Academic Affairs Director for the Student Government Association Executive Cabinet for 2014-2015 through which I will be working to serve the academic needs and wants of my peers. I am also a part of the Junior Panhellenic Council. This organization is made up of two members from each sorority on campus, and I have the privilege to represent Chi Omega. We as JPC work to serve as a voice for the new members of Panhellenic, and I carry on the role of Vice President of Committees. Lastly, I am a member of Lambda Sigma Honor Society, which is not only an honor society for sophomores but also an active service organization through which I can carry out my love for community service. 
      Within all of these organizations there is a strong presence of Greek Life. Therefore, I have met other Greek Life members who have been a source of encouragement, support, and friendship. This sense of family and community is definitely what you need to deal with the chaos of being a college student (in addition to cake). Also, I have already been benefitted by the networking opportunities that Chi Omega has given me. I was able to obtain my two jobs with the help of my sisters because they recommended me to their employers. For all of these things and more, I am so grateful that I joined Greek Life and found my home within Chi Omega. It has without a doubt helped to enhance my experience while being a flourishing student here at Southern Miss. SMTTT!

Xoxo,
Linh Duong & the Epsilon Delta Chapter of Chi Omega

No comments:

Post a Comment