Saturday, June 14, 2014

Member of the Week: Meet Rachel Smith!

Hi! My name is Rachel Smith and I am a junior at the University of Southern Mississippi. I pledged Chi Omega my freshman year and I am a member of the 2012 pledge class. I serve as the Corresponding Secretary on the Cardinal Cabinet board of Chi Omega. As corresponding secretary, it is my responsibility to communicate with other organizations and Greek chapters in the community on behalf of the Epsilon Delta Chapter. Although my role as Corresponding Secretary is business-like and kind of behind-the-scenes, serving on Cardinal Cabinet has been truly wonderful. I have enjoyed growing close with this dedicated group of girls, and working with them to ensure the success and overall well-being of our chapter has been very rewarding and exciting!
Other than Chi Omega, I am very involved on campus at USM through the organizations, Eagle Connection and Diamond Darlings. Eagle Connection is a group of student ambassadors that recruit and give tours to prospective students. Being selected to be a member of the Eagle Connection team is a competitive and nerve-racking process. Luckily, I was successful with the advice from other Chi Omegas that were experienced Eagle Connection members. Being an active member of Eagle Connection has been terrific in many ways. I have especially enjoyed getting to know and grow close to the other student ambassadors. I enjoy having the opportunity to contribute as a team to leave Southern Miss better than I found it. Diamond Darlings is a group of young women who help out with all kinds of exciting things at baseball games. Through Diamond Darlings I was able to establish friendships with young women in other Greek chapters, as well as spend time with other baseball-lovin’ Chi Omegas! Besides involvement with these organizations, you might also see me on campus working as a technical assistant in Cook Library. I have worked in the Learning Commons of the library since my freshman year. I love my job because I get to interact with and assist the majority of  students on campus, which this makes me happy because I love being a part of other students’ personal experiences here at Southern Miss.
My favorite spot on campus is an area that many students consider to be “the front” of campus. Between the oldest and most beautiful buildings on campus and hovering, ancient oak trees, is a beautifully landscaped and serene place. I have spent many lunch hours relaxing on benches in this area. This is without a doubt my happy place on campus.
Although I enjoy doing almost anything, the thing I do the most and enjoy the most is spending time with my family. I have a sort of large, but absolutely goofy, family that I love very much and never get tired of spending time with. I am happiest when cutting up with them. With my family’s help and support, I will be going on the British Studies program this summer to study in London! I am very excited to travel abroad and not only meet new people, but also see the sights with other Chi Omegas too!
If I had to choose one food to eat everyday for the rest of my life, it would undoubtedly be chocolate. Any chocolate, all chocolate, I love it!   
Overall, being involved on campus and joining Greek life has enriched my college experience in so many ways! It has opened doors to solid friendships and opportunities for which I am already seeing the benefits of networking opportunities! Also, I will be moving into a cottage with four pledge sisters in the fall along with giving eagle connection tours during which my love for the chapter and the University of Southern Mississippi will only grow!

Xoxo,
Rachel Smith & the Epsilon Delta Chapter of Chi Omega 




No comments:

Post a Comment