Friday, June 20, 2014

Member of the Week: Meet Kristen Lee!

            Hello! My name is Kristen Lee, and I am a senior Nutrition and Dietetics major here at USM. I am in PC ’11, which is “senior pledge class” this year, (I am still trying to get used to this!). Last year, I was the secretary of Chi Omega, so I was always the loud one calling roll at functions and events to make sure that all the Chi Omegas were present. Being secretary really opened my eyes to the chapter’s diversity, and it helped me learn how to balance my time and prioritize. Being secretary was definitely a privilege because it allowed me to get to know each member on a more personal level, even more so than I already did. Although we are one of the largest sororities at Southern Miss with about 160 active members, it is not difficult to get to know each member of the chapter. This is one of the aspects that I love most about Southern Miss Greek Life. Southern Miss Greek Life has big enough chapters to make a difference, but small enough to get to know everyone in the chapter. 
            Since I am a nutrition major, I am involved in a couple of nutrition related clubs. I have been a member of the Student Dietetic Association for three years, and I have recently been elected as the treasurer for the upcoming school year. I was elected to be an ambassador for the College of Health two years ago. Both organizations focus heavily on campus and community involvement in their own ways. Greek Life has helped me become involved on campus because it introduces me to new people every day and I always have a Chi Omega advisor who is willing to write a letter of recommendation for me.
            As I am trying to think of a favorite memory at USM, I notice that they all involve Chi Omega in some way. With that being said, one of my favorite USM memories is Songfest, which is Chi Omega’s philanthropy event. Now, I know you’re thinking that I had to put that down, but the truth is, I didn’t! Songfest is the oldest and largest Greek event on campus, and if that does not convince you how incredible Songfest is then you really just need to see it for yourself. It is entertaining, funny, and beautiful. Every member of every Greek organization is involved, and last year we raised over $50,000 for our philanthropy, Make A Wish! With this year being my last Songfest, I am really upset, but I rest easy knowing that I can always come back each year since it is open to the community.
            If I had to choose one word to describe myself, it would probably be sassy since Beyoncé is sassy and she is my idol. My favorite hobby (as cheesy as it may sound) is riding around with my besties jamming to Taylor Swift, since that is what we are usually doing if we aren’t studying. My weirdest talent is probably that I can twerk on my head. Feel free to be amazed. If I had to choose one food to eat every day for the rest of my life, it would probably be something involving chocolate.

            Finally, I believe that happiness is something you create for yourself. It is not something that you can wait on others to create for you. My idea of happiness is a sound mind, a happy heart, and a healthy body.


Xoxo,
Kristen Lee & the Epsilon Delta Chapter of Chi Omega

No comments:

Post a Comment